CITY VITAL STATISTICS
(Last Update: September 25, 2006)
1. Population: 51,477 (01/01/06)
2. Location: Central San Joaquin Valley, along Freeway 99, 48 miles south of Fresno, 61 miles north of Bakersfield, 11 miles southwest of Visalia.
3. Size: 18.4 square miles
4. Incorporation Date: April 5, 1888
5. Type of city: Charter, first approved September 5, 1922, filed with Secretary of State February 3, 1923.
6. Mission Statement: To promote a community making Tulare the most desirable place to live, learn, play, work, worship and prosper.
7. City Mottos: "The Agri-Center of the World", "The City with a Smile", "The Unbureaucracy".
8. What’s in a name? The City name is pronounced "too LARR y". It is derived from the California word "tule", meaning cattail or bulrush. The Spanish word "Tular" refers to a place where tules grow though, since development, the area no longer is abundant with tules.
9. Elevation: 288 feet, or 88 meters.
10. Average Temperatures: In January, the average maximum temperature is 54 and the average minimum is 34 degrees Fahrenheit. In July, the average maximum temperature is 96 and the average minimum is 65 degrees Fahrenheit.
11. Average annual rainfall: 10.15 inches
12. Type of government: Council/Manager
13. City Council Elections: November in even numbered years.
Services directly provided: Police, Fire, water, sewer, wastewater treatment, solid waste, street maintenance and sweeping, graffiti removal, parks, recreation programs, senior services, library, animal control, airport, and planning and building.
Services provided under contract: Cycle Park, water slide park, historical museum, economic development, citywide marketing, city bus system, and downtown improvements.
15. Annual budget: 2006-07 fiscal year = approximately $94,000,000, including capital improvements and redevelopment. The general fund is approximately $28,000,000.
16. Number of employees: 321
17. No of parks, total acreage: 189.15 acres
Types: 2 mini-parks, 9 neighborhood parks, 2 sports complexes, 1 linear park (5+ mile rails to trails), and 1 special use park
18. Miles of streets: 170 miles
19. Public safety: Number of sworn Police Officers: 68
Number of sworn Fire Fighters: 41
Number of Police Stations: 1 station; 3 community policing substations
Number of Fire Stations: 3
20. Number of vehicles maintained: 358
21. Top private employers and number of employees (as of June 30, 2003):
Land O’ Lakes, Inc. 600
Ice Cream Partners USA, Inc. (Dreyer’s) 300
Wal-Mart Stores 280
Golden Valley Dairy Products 215
Southern California Edison Company 200
Cheese and Protein International 170
Morris Levin & Son Hardware 170
Saputo Cheese USA, Inc. 150
Kings County Truck Lines 150
Kraft USA South 130
22. Top businesses based on assessed valuation:
Land O" Lakes, Inc. Golden Valley Products
Kraft Foods Wal-Mart Stores
Ice Cream Partners USA, Inc.(Dreyer’s) J I T Steel
Saputo Cheese USA, Inc. J. D. Heiskell Company
Cheese and Protein International Village Shopping Center
U. S. Cold Storage International Agri-Center, Incorporated
Horizon Group Outlet Center K-Mart